Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Who is comforting who?



Okay so I remember when people would talk about their dogs like they were children and I would always think "really...are you comparing a dog to a child?". I have always grown up with dogs and yes they were part of our family, but I am not so sure my parents considered them their children...nor did I consider them my "brothers". Well, this used to be my thought process. This all changed the minute we saw Lucy. We were at an auction for our nephews & niece's school when Mr. B decided that instead of bidding on a basket we would bid on a little Morkie (1/2 Yorkie & 1/2 Maltese). She was so stinkin cute that Mr. B (along with a couple beers) outbid himself to win her! She was only 10 weeks old and weighed 2 lbs. And we decided to name her Lucy. This is really what I wanted to name my daughter (if I ever had one) after my grandmother, Lucielle. However, I married someone with a last name that is synonymous for the female anatomy. :) This is how we came to name our dog.
Within the first week of getting Lucy, she became sick with a virus. I was literally in tears. I don't know if it is because we are having difficulty getting pregnant and having "real" babies or what, but I was a wreck that week. I took a day off of work and even Mr. B took a half day. Now his reason was completely different than mine. I just wanted her to know that I was there and that I would hold her and try all I could to bring her comfort. Mr. B's reason was none other than we had paid an arm and a leg for her and he didn't want to come home to no puppy. I know it was because he really does love her too with all his heart! He will make a wonderful daddy someday:) Whatever the reason was I was happy that he did go home because it brought me some comfort to know that she wasn't alone:) At any rate, she fully recuperated and is now just a week shy of 6 months old. It is so weird that I find myself talking to her and about her constantly. I was on a trip with some girlfriends who have babies and like a goofball I would catch myself interjecting into their conversations about Lucy...a dog! Mr. B tells me I have serious issues:)
But really, I think while I try to bring her some comfort in her times of need...she is really my comfort. I feel Lucy helps keep my mind off the obvious. If it weren't for her, I am sure that I would be sitting around sulking that I have yet to get pregnant. I wonder if my feelings will change once I do have a baby? Has anyone else been in this situation? I think one of my friends has and after seeing her with her new baby and her "older" one, I can tell that she tries to balance out the time between the two. I just hope that one day I don't forget how much I love this little girl of mine and how happy she makes me! Hopefully, I won't forget how much comfort she brought me:)
cheers!