Monday, July 27, 2009

"Let's Do Lunch"

The nice thing about not having to work over the summer is that every now and then I can call up my friends and say, "Let's do lunch!" Now, finding friends who don't work or who can take an extended lunch can sometimes be difficult. So, this doesn't occur daily or even weekly. Recently it dawned on me that someone who I don't call for lunch dates, is my mother. I decided that this is one person who I would love to have lunch with, just her and I. And, we did just that last week. It was so nice to go out to lunch and then do a little shopping. I talked a lot about my dad and all I have learned from him. In addition, someone that I equally admire and look up to is my mother. It's funny though, I think most would say (including her) that we are not that alike. For instance, while shopping I bought quite a few things whereas my mom only bought one item.:) I know that Mr. B wishes I was a lot more like her when it comes to shopping!

At any rate, my mom is so many things that I hope I am when I am a mother myself. Selfless, is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of her. She has always put others before herself, especially my sister and I; and now her grandchildren. She was a stay-at-home mom for most of my childhood. Even when she decided to work, she was a pre-school teacher who was always home when we got home. My mom has always put family first. I remember as a kid when my dad would work late my mom would give my sister and I a snack and when my dad got home, we would all eat dinner together...as a family. Now that my sister and I are all grown up and moved out, my mom has still carried this value on. Every Sunday, we go to their house for dinner. We are incredibly blessed that we live close enough to do this. I know that this will be a tradition that will continue on for a long time to come. One other important attribute my mother has instilled in me has always been the golden rule. I can remember from when I was little my mom always telling me, "treat others as you would want them to treat you". Unfortunately, I know that there have been times I have failed at this; however I still try to live by this. One last memory to share of my mom...one of my favorites. She has always made sure that we knew exactly why we were celebrating Easter and Christmas. She wanted us to know that there were more than presents, stockings, egg hunts, baskets, etc... For example: every Christmas Eve we would come home and read the bible verse on the birth of Jesus. We would then place the baby Jesus in the manger with Mary & Joseph. This is also another "little" tradition that I will carry on with my family. There are so many little things I have learned from my mom, just too many too write about. One thing I have realized on my own though is that as long as I continue to "do lunch" with the girls, there is one girl I will always remember to call.
Cheers to you Mom!