Friday, July 24, 2009

My Dad!


Within the past month, two friends of mine have lost their fathers unexpectedly. While this should not be my prime reason, it has compelled me to really think about how much I appreciate my own father. I have a file full of memories of my father, all little things that have always stayed with me. I remember as a child my dad would swing us in between his legs and let us stand on his feet while we danced. I remember that when the bear claws (the arcade game that you could win lots of stuffed animals on) were the big thing my dad would come home from the bowling alley with a bag full twice a week for us. Within a few years we had trash bags full of stuffed animals.

My dad has always been surrounded by women and I am sure there was a small little desire have a son. But, he always supported my sister and I in all of our "little girl" activities never trying to push us into "boy things". He did anything and everything for us. I also remember my dad going along with my mom and I shopping and if I couldn't decide between two items he would always say, "get them both". He always gave us everything we ever wanted. He paid for our schooling, something I will always be very grateful for. As I grew up and moved out my dad moved me in and out of the dorms, apartments, and houses countless times. He has hung so many countless things in all of those homes and in my current house. Literally, I counted this morning and in our house now he has hung 46 things; not counting the garage openers, blinds, curtains, etc... He has fixed everything from my cars to my jewelry. Speaking of cars, I will never forget the time that I got a flat tire and my dad came to change it in the pouring rain. He has taught me so much in life, but the one thing I have really come to value is dependability. I can only hope that I become a parent that my children can depend on no matter what. I know that no matter what happens...I can always depend on my dad for anything and everything!
Cheers to you Dad!