Me & some of the girls
"Bitter"
"Sweet"I know that I have really been slacking with my blogging:( I haven't forgotten about my little blog here, I have just been trying to still get in the swing of things. Even though I cut a lot of my "extra duties" out of my schedule, I have still managed to find ways to fill the void. I am most likely filling the time, because I have moments where I really miss coaching.
For those who were not aware...I was a dance team coach for the past 7 years and last year I retired:( It has been a bitter-sweet decision. Bitter in the fact that dance has somehow been a part of my life since I was a little tot and now it isn't. It was extremely sad to leave the girls and the bonds we formed. It was also sad for me to walk away from a program that I tried really hard to rebuild. There are so many things I miss about being a coach. I miss the girls who always seemed to know how to bring a smile to my face after dealing with a rowdy 7th hour, I miss getting to help girls with choreography and choosing costumes. I miss the excitement and disappointment that came along with each competition. I even miss the girls who would always seem to find those little buttons to push. :) And, since last year we went to Nationals in Disney World...I of course miss little perks like that!
My departure was sweet in the fact that this was the first summer I did not have to go to camp, the first summer I didn't have car washes, BBQ's and other fundraisers every other weekend, and the first year I didn't have to go sit in the excruciating hot sun for an all day school fundraiser. It is also sweet that every day at 2:45 I am on my way out the door to get home to Lucy-Bug. And maybe, the most sweetest part is that my phone has never been so quiet! One of the worst parts about being a coach, that I certainly don't miss, is the DRAMA! The constant parent phone calls, emails, and of course the "can I talk to you for a minute" conversations after a game following a 14 hour work day. Seriously, while I was planning my wedding and coaching 2 squads I had a parent call me on a Saturday (while out shopping for centerpieces with a friend) to complain that I wasn't putting in as much time as needed to the squad. My friend about fell off her rocker that the parent would even think of calling me...on a Saturday...to complain when her daughter wouldn't of even had a squad to dance on if I wouldn't have taken it on. Oh, those were so NOT the days! And one cannot forget the crazy amounts of paperwork which just always made my day.
I know most people are thinking...why even 2nd think your decision after all that non-sense. Well, at the end of the day...all those sweets heavily outweighed the bitter! For those who don't know why I "retired", well I was advised to cut out all stress in order to encourage the stork to make a stop at our household :)
I always told the girls to follow Bob Dylan's advise to "take care of your memories, for you cannot relive them". So as I walk by the practices each day that I used to run... I will remember Dylan's advise.
Cheers to memories!